This is a sample i did for my dyeing class. I took some process photos so you can see how the effect was created.
I rolled the fabric up tightly onto a length of scrap PVC pipe.
Then I secured it by wrapping it tightly with a spiralling length of strong twine.
After tying off the twine, i scrunched the fabric down tightly to one end.
Then, i dipped it into a large pot of simmering red dye.
This would be a quick way to create organic-looking zebra stripes or similar. Once my students finish their projects (large 3-yard pieces with various shibori effects) i'll see if some of them will let me post the photographs of their results!